Moscow Spiritual Academy

Organized in 1685-1687 under the guidance of two Greek brothers on the premises of the Zaikonospassky Monastery, the academy was placed under the Patriarch Prikaz. The curriculum was divided into several schools, including Slavonic and Greek writing and theology and was called the “Greek Latin School.” Then in 1721 it was transferred to the Holy Synod, and in 1775, new disciplines were introduced into the curriculum, including law, ecclesiastic history, medicine, and more ancient and new European languages. Then in 1814 it was relocated to the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra.