Richelieu Lyceum

Founded in 1817 in Odessa and named for the former governor-general of New Russia, Armand-Emmanuel du Plessis duc de Richelieu, this private school drew students from the nobility and and wealthy merchant families. That initially French was the only langugage of instruction reflected the reality of the population rather than snobbery, although classes began in Russian from the 1820s. It housed a major library, and a number of important scholars passed through it in some capacity.