Kul-Oba Kurgan

Kül Oba, or “hill of ash” in Crimean Tatar, was the first Scythian royal barrow to be excavated in modern times. Uncovered in 1830, the stone tomb yielded a wealth of precious artifacts which drew considerable public interest to the Scythian past, as the most beautiful gold artefacts were sent to the Hermitage Museum. The tomb was built around 400 to 350 BC, probably by a team of Greek masons from Panticapaeum/Kerch.