Liaskoronskii was important especially as a cartographer of archeological sites in the south. A Ukrainian, after the revolution he was a member of the All-Ukrainian Archeological Committee and the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. He was also associated with Nezhinsk Historical-Philological Institute.
The son of a village priest in Novgorod Province, Modestov trained initially at the Petersburg Pedagogical Institute to become a teacher. Instead, he became one of the leading figures in the history of Rome, beginning with the Neolithic Age in Italy. After retiring from New Russia University, he moved to Rome. Perhaps surprisingly for a leading classicist scholar, he opposed the reforms of Minister of Education Dmitrii Tolstoi, who in the 1870s returned the university curriculum to emphasize the ancient languages over history or philosophy. He also translated Tacitus into Russian.
Transplanted from a provincial gymnasium in Vilna to the prestigious classical lyceum in Moscow, and then to the university, Kulakovskii became one of the foremost specialists in Roman history and Latin inscriptions.The Imperial Commission sent him to Kerch in 1890, and he remained in the region. In 1893 he published the archeological map of Sarmatian Europe in Ptolemy’s Time.
One of Russia’s foremost geologists, Inostrantsev worked with archeologists in making determinations about the Stone Age in Russia. As a student, he worked originally in chemistry under Dmitrii Mendeleev, but a passion for rocks displaced chemistry and in 1868 be began curating the newly founded Geological Cabinet at the Academy of Sciences. In 1869 he defended his dissertation on his geological research in northern Russia, where he had uncovered numerous skulls around Lake Ladoga, which he turned over to anthropologists, who overlapped with archeologists in the Stone Age in particular. With A. P. Bogdanov, Inostrantsev helped to found the Society of Lovers of Natural Science, Anthropology and Geography. Bogdanov’s foremost mentee and activist in the IMAO Dmitrii Anuchin discovered the bones of domesticated dogs at Ladoga and named them canis inostrantsev. Inostrantsev merits mention as an archeologist because of his work in helping to decipher the prehistory of civilization.
Ultimately a professor of history at St. Vladimir University, after teaching at numerous gymnasia, Golubovskii specialized in the pre-Petrine era and integrated archeology into his courses.
Coincidentally, the small town in which Antonovich was born, Makhnovka, had been the property of the Tyshkevich family (of Vilna archeological fame) in the 15th century. His parentage was unconventional: though he was registered as nobility, when in fact, he was the bastard son of a Hungarian emigrant revolutionary, but carried his mother’s married name; she had been the governess in the home of a wealthy Polish shlakht (nobleman), and married the male teacher, Bontifatie Antonovich. A Catholic who converted to Orthodoxy, he is considered today a founder of Ukrainian independence, but he’s more complicated than that because he appears to have supported Little Russia as a unique culture within the larger complex of the empire. His personal life was as nearly complicated as his mother’s; married, he nonetheless carried on an affair with a student, Katerina Melnik, from the 1880s until they married in 1902.
An important Belorusian scholar, Dovnar-Zapolskii analyzed all archeological corners of the NW region through Ukraine, and published inexhaustibly. He worked for the IMAO as secretary of its Archeographical Commission and edited numerous of its publications.
The daughter of a Russian general, Natalia Dmitrevna lived through two world wars and exercised considerable influence as an historian of Ukraine. She graduated from the Fundukleevskaia-Mariinskaia Gymnasium, the empire’s first women’s gymnasium (I. A. Linnichenko’s father the first director), before moving to Higher Courses for Women at St. Vladimir’s University, where she worked under Mitrofan Dovnar-Zapol’skii. In 1916, she became a lecturer at the university and director of its archeological museum. In 1923 she married Nikolai Vasilenko, Minister of Education and Foreign Affairs in Ukrainian Republic; she served as professor at the Kiev Institutes of Geography, Archeology, and Art, and a Research Associate at the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. Vasilenko was arrested during the Purges, but she had him rehabilitated. During the Nazi occupation, she collaborated by working on the committee to change street names. She fled with the Germans, and ended up in Munich where she taught at the Ukrainian Free University. In the 1960s, she helped to establish the American-based Ukrainian Historical Association.
A graduate of St. Vladimir University in 1886, Pavlutskii had studied classical philology under Ia. A. Kulakovskii, and then continued his education in Berlin and Paris. One of the most influential scholars of religious architecture, he focused on the reciprical influences of Greek, Byzantine, Italian, and Russian churches, especially the latter around Kiev. Keeping art in archeology, he influenced a generation of young scholars.
Danilevich counted among the influential and politically active archeologists who had studied first under V. B. Antonovich at Kiev’s St. Vladimir University. After graduating in 1896, he taught history at numerous gymnasia around the empire: Baku, Iurev (Tartu), Revel (Tallin) until 1903, when he became a privat-docent at Kharkov University. Danilevich was renowned for using archeology to teach history, and his lectures became a textbook. He moved to St. Vladimir in 1907, and then to Warsaw University in 1915. In 1917 he supported socialism, if not necessarily Bolshevism. During Ukraine’s short-lived independence, he taught at the university in Kiev, and then in schools around the city following the advent of Soviet power. He directed the Archeological Commission at the Ukraine Academy of Science.