Liaskoronskii was important especially as a cartographer of archeological sites in the south. A Ukrainian, after the revolution he was a member of the All-Ukrainian Archeological Committee and the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. He was also associated with Nezhinsk Historical-Philological Institute.
Petrov turned an education in theology into a career as a leading scholar in church archeology, especially in his adoptive Kiev. For example, talk at the 5th Congress in Tiflis was about a Gospel with minatures in Kiev, that shows Roman and Byzantine influences that can also be seen in Georgian miniatures of the same. He received an Uvarov Prize and two gold medals from the IRAO for his work.
Linnichenko was that rare Ukrainian archeologist who eschewed separatism and even after 1917 maintained that Little Russia was a part of the larger Russian empire. He recognized their languages and cultures to be related, but not different. He also popularized archeology with articles in Kievskaia starina.
As early as the Second Congress, Ilovaiskii began his intellectual rampage against the calling of the Varangians. A fascinating character from Riazan, his teachers noticed his intelligence and persuaded his parents to allow him a classical education. He studied in Moscow with the great historians of the 1840s and ’50s. When in the 1860s Moscow University limited him to teaching general rather than Russian history, he resigned his post. He supported himself writing history and sparking controveries relevant to Great Russian nationalism. This might explain how one of his textbooks enjoyed reprinted 44 editions. His daughter Varvara married another prominent archeologist, Ivan Tsvetaev, who remarried after Varvara’s premature death from tuberculosis. His second wife gave birth to the poetess Marina. Ilovaiskii moved from moderate to radical conservatism after the 1905 Revolution, joining the Union of Russian People.
A Little Russian Cossack, after finishing his degree in history he worked in Count Uvarov’s library, cataloging his manuscripts. Although a member of the Archeological Commission, he was primarily employed in the administrative bureacracies in different parts of present-day Ukraine. He published copiously on aspects of Little Russian culture, though he does not seem to have excavated there. He published regularly in “Kievskaia starina.” His public political activities included the St. Petersburg provincial government, the Poltava Statistical Commission and district court, and the Kiev Chamber of Justice.
Ultimately a professor of history at St. Vladimir University, after teaching at numerous gymnasia, Golubovskii specialized in the pre-Petrine era and integrated archeology into his courses.
Coincidentally, the small town in which Antonovich was born, Makhnovka, had been the property of the Tyshkevich family (of Vilna archeological fame) in the 15th century. His parentage was unconventional: though he was registered as nobility, when in fact, he was the bastard son of a Hungarian emigrant revolutionary, but carried his mother’s married name; she had been the governess in the home of a wealthy Polish shlakht (nobleman), and married the male teacher, Bontifatie Antonovich. A Catholic who converted to Orthodoxy, he is considered today a founder of Ukrainian independence, but he’s more complicated than that because he appears to have supported Little Russia as a unique culture within the larger complex of the empire. His personal life was as nearly complicated as his mother’s; married, he nonetheless carried on an affair with a student, Katerina Melnik, from the 1880s until they married in 1902.
The daughter of a Russian general, Natalia Dmitrevna lived through two world wars and exercised considerable influence as an historian of Ukraine. She graduated from the Fundukleevskaia-Mariinskaia Gymnasium, the empire’s first women’s gymnasium (I. A. Linnichenko’s father the first director), before moving to Higher Courses for Women at St. Vladimir’s University, where she worked under Mitrofan Dovnar-Zapol’skii. In 1916, she became a lecturer at the university and director of its archeological museum. In 1923 she married Nikolai Vasilenko, Minister of Education and Foreign Affairs in Ukrainian Republic; she served as professor at the Kiev Institutes of Geography, Archeology, and Art, and a Research Associate at the Ukrainian Academy of Sciences. Vasilenko was arrested during the Purges, but she had him rehabilitated. During the Nazi occupation, she collaborated by working on the committee to change street names. She fled with the Germans, and ended up in Munich where she taught at the Ukrainian Free University. In the 1960s, she helped to establish the American-based Ukrainian Historical Association.