Kostsiushko-Valiuzhinich, K. K.

A Catholic born on the border between Belarus and Lithuania, Kostsiushko-Valiuzhinich moved his family to Sevastopol in 1881 and fell in love with Crimea. Also a banker and newspaper editor in the city, his passion for Khersones overwhelmed all other interests. He joined the Odessa Society of the History of Antiquities, and despite fights with Count Bobrinskii over authority over the digs, the latter appointed this fanatic to the Archeological Commission. Kostsiushko-Valiuzhinich turned the Warehouse of Local Antiquities into the Khersones Museum, circa 1888.

Liutsenko, A. E.

An engineer serving in various capacities for the Ministry of Communications in southern Russia, he developed a keen interest in archeology when planning roads and railroads. In 1850 Minister of the Interior L. A. Perovskii, himself an engineer, sent Liutsenko to excavate in Crimea; in 1853, he appointed Liutsenko director of the Kerch Museum of Antiquities. His brother Efim worked a bit alongside him in excavations and at the museum. Another brother, Danilo, was also an archeologist, from Kiev.